Re: [PARPORT] PATCH: parport_device_id support, "version 2.0"

From: Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Date: Mon Jan 15 2001 - 11:57:04 EST

    Now that 2.4.0 has actually been released, we kind of have an
    obligation not to break /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/autoprobe
    (again!). So, which of the changes you proposed would be okay I
    wonder?

    On Sun, Dec 24, 2000 at 07:01:20PM -0800, Adam J. Richter wrote:

    > 1. A device's IEEE-1284.3 ID is now reread from hardware whenever
    > the corresponding /proc/sys/dev/parport*/parport* file is read.
    > However, the results are still stored in struct parport for now
    > so that each driver does not have to requery each parallel port
    > device. At some point in the future, parport probably should
    > get a registration interface similar to the new PCI interface and
    > the USB interface where some centrally-called routine does all
    > of the matching and tells the drivers which devices they match.

    This is probably okay, so long as it claims the port.

    > 2. The printer ID parsing code has been replaced.
    > /proc/sys/dev/parport*/parport* now return the IEEE-1284.3 string
    > verbatim, including length bytes, whether they are correct or not.
    > The only processing done is that a new line is added to the end.
    > So, for example, you can now write a program to test if your
    > printer is providing an incorrect length value, not including
    > a semicolon, etc.

    This is an incompatible change and so can't go in. :-(

    However, if we lose the two length bytes and do the rest it should be
    okay.