[PARPORT] Re: PATCH: parport_device_id support, "version 2.1"

From: Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 11:14:47 EST

    On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 06:18:36PM -0800, Adam J. Richter wrote:

    > -extern ssize_t parport_device_id (int devnum, char *buffer, size_t len);
    > +extern ssize_t parport_get_id (int devnum, char **buf_out);

    This is just unnecessary, as well as changing the documented interface
    (Documentation/DocBook). This is worse than the autoprobe thing!

    Please stop making gratuitous changes to interfaces, or the whole
    thing will have to wait until 2.5.x.

    > -extern int parport_find_device (const char *mfg, const char *mdl, int from);
    > -extern int parport_find_class (parport_device_class cls, int from);

    And again we have an interface change.

    Adam, to do this now that we are in a stable branch, we have to only
    _add_ bits. That means that parport_find_xxx have to stay. The
    parport_match_id function is better, but the old functions ought to
    still work. Bonus points if they printk a message saying to fix their
    callers to use the new function. (There are drivers that are not in
    the kernel yet.)

    But we can't just outright delete them.

    Other than that, the patch looks fine. ;-)