[PARPORT] ZIP/parallel port

From: Bart Friederichs (plant@chello.nl)
Date: Mon Mar 12 2001 - 05:58:04 EST

    Hi,

    I have a parallel ZIP100 (of about a century old, think first generation)
    that worked perfectly using the ppa module on kernel 2.2.16. Until the fine
    day I got my CDR to work. It looks like the ide-scsi module screws up the
    fine working of the ZIP drive.

    This is what 'dmesg' says:

    ppa: Version 2.03 (for Linux 2.2.x)
    WARNING - no ppa compatible devices found.
      As of 31/Aug/1998 Iomega started shipping parallel
      port ZIP drives with a different interface which is
      supported by the imm (ZIP Plus) driver. If the
      cable is marked with "AutoDetect", this is what has
      happened.
    scsi : 1 host.

    Well, it hasn't got that different interface the message is talking about,
    because my zip is from '97 or so. When I try to manually install the ppa
    module, it says:

    bash-2.04# modprobe ppa
    /lib/modules/2.2.16/scsi/ppa.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
    Hint: this error can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
    invalid IO or IRQ parameters
    /lib/modules/2.2.16/scsi/ppa.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.2.16/scsi/ppa.o failed
    /lib/modules/2.2.16/scsi/ppa.o: insmod ppa failed

    Anybody some hints?

    TIA
    Bart Friederichs
    bart@friesoft.nl