Re: [PARPORT] incorrect detection of printer

From: Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Date: Sat Mar 17 2001 - 13:50:29 EST

    On Sat, Mar 17, 2001 at 06:59:17PM +0100, stef wrote:

    > parport0: No more nibble data (0 bytes)
    > parport0: faking semi-colon

    *sigh*, another manufacturer who gets this wrong..

    > parport0 probe: warning, class 'IMAGE' not understood.

    It's supposed to be 'SCANNER', but it doesn't much matter.

    > parport0 (addr 0): Unknown device, UMAX Astra 1220P
    > parport0 (addr 1): Printer, EPSON Stylus COLOR 440
    > parport0 (addr 2): Printer, EPSON Stylus COLOR 440
    > parport0 (addr 3): Printer, EPSON Stylus COLOR 440
    > parport0: Printer, EPSON Stylus COLOR 440
    > lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).
    >
    > My printer is detected 3 times

    Actually four times: at daisy chain addresses 1, 2, and 3, and also as
    a non-chain-aware device.

    > It is harmless since the printer and scanner work correctly.

    Yes, but annoying, and eventually there may be drivers that actually
    want to look at this information.

    I guess this is the scanner's fault, since a ZIP250 with chained Epson
    Stylus colour 760 is reported correctly.

    Not that I expect it to make any difference, but if you leave off
    'reset=1', does that make any difference?

    Does anyone else see this?