Re: [PARPORT] Kernel 2.4.2 & Epat Shuttle HDD driver

From: Stephen Mollett (molletts@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 12:58:34 EST

    > Q2) ... Can I enhance [performance] with any setting (e.g. ECP
    > support, dma using ...) ?
    >
    > Maximal speed is about 750 kB/s.
    > I tried ECP mode :
    > Result is very very bad :

    The Shuttle EPAT chip doesn't support ECP, only EPP. Using ECP+EPP mode
    rarely works as a perfect substitute for using either ECP or EPP alone. I
    vaguely remember reading something somewhere to the effect that the two modes
    don't mix well on the same hardware and as such, negotiation tends to fail,
    particularly if it's EPP that you want.

    > pda: epat 1.01, Shuttle EPAT chip c5 at 0x378, mode 5 (EPP-32),delay 1

    You could try setting the port delay to 0 - I found that this improved my
    throughput substantially.

    Try:
    options pd drive0=0x378,,,5,,,0,0 drive1=0x378,,,5,,,0,1

    Make sure you test it well afterwards though; it might toast your filesystem
    or something if your hardware doesn't like working at this speed.

    > Q3) How can I use two hdd simultaneously ?
    > Which kernel parameters can solve it ?

    Try a kernel commandline like:
    pd.drive0=0x378,,,5,,,x,0 pd.drive1=0x378,,,5,,,x,1

    with x=0 if your system works with delay 0 or x=1 otherwise.

    Hope I've been helpful (and not said too many inaccurate/just-plain-wrong
    things... :)

    Regards,
    Stephen