[PARPORT] IDE CD-R via sg

From: Greg Bell (gregbell@znet.com)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 12:45:07 EDT

    Hi everyone,

    Under RH6.2, I was trying to get my Mitsumi CD-R (an IDE device) to work
    under linux. The HowTo instructions described how to enable the generic
    SCSI driver (sg.o).

    Everything went fine until I actually tried to load the ide-scsi and sg
    drivers. My log would report:

     modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-97

    this is the /dev/pg0 !!! (thus my posting to this list).

    compiling and loading this module made the problem go away.

    My question: Why would the ide-scsi and/or generic SCSI drivers require
    the generic PARALLEL port driver??????

    Thanks much,

    Greg Bell

    --