Re: [PARPORT] Debian 2.2 install from Backpack CD-ROM

From: Joern Larsen (joernl@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu May 17 2001 - 14:51:17 EDT

    OK, with a little help I found out the following:

    In order for the system to recognize the CD-drive, one need to run the
    script mkd found at www.torque.net/parport/paride.html . However, I
    got several error messages running this script. I am new to Linux and
    don't know much about scripts, but when I changed the script to the
    following

    #!/bin/bash
    #
    # mkd -- a script to create the device special files for the PARIDE
    subsystem
    #
    function mkdev
    {
      mknod $1 $2 $3 $4 ; chmod 0660 $1 ; chown root:disk $1
    }
    #
    function pd
    {
      D=$( printf \\$( printf "x%03x" $[ $1 + 97 ] ) )
      mkdev pd$D b 45 $[ $1 * 16 ]
      for P in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
      do mkdev pd$D$P b 45 $[ $1 * 16 + $P ]
      done
    }
    #
    cd /dev
    #
    for u in 0 1 2 3 ; do pd $u ; done
    for u in 0 1 2 3 ; do mkdev pcd$u b 46 $u ; done
    for u in 0 1 2 3 ; do mkdev pf$u b 47 $u ; done
    for u in 0 1 2 3 ; do mkdev pt$u c 96 $u ; done
    for u in 0 1 2 3 ; do mkdev npt$u c 96 $[ $u + 128 ] ; done
    for u in 0 1 2 3 ; do mkdev pg$u c 97 $u ; done
    #
    # end of mkd

    it worked properly, and the system recognized the CD-Drive after
    mounting it.

    Joern T. Larsen.