Re: [PARPORT] Problems reading ECR

From: Ronnie (ronnieac@teleline.es)
Date: Sat May 26 2001 - 12:17:19 EDT

    I was asking myself why parport freeze my box loading it without parameters and don't do it when I call it with some parameters. I've looked at parport's source code and discoverd that depending on the use of parameters or not parport calls parport_pc_find_ports().
    parport_pc_find_ports() calls parport_pc_init_superio().

    parport_pc_init_superio() finds all the PCI devices matching parport_pc_pci_tbl and for each of these devices calls the device's probe function (all devices use sio_via_686a_probe() as their probe function).

    sio_via_686a_probe() gets the base address, IRQ and DMA values from the pci device config register.
    This function reads and writes some configuration registers.
    For example:
        /*
         * unlock super i/o configuration set 0x85_1
         */
        pci_read_config_byte(pdev, 0x85, &tmp);
        tmp |= (l<<1);
        pci_write_config_byte(pdev, 0x85, &tmp);

    (What's that for???)

    In my card's data sheet this register offsets don't appear. Where are these registers commented?

    Ronnie.