Re: [PARPORT] How to slow down parport? (and a note to Epson 740owners)

From: Michael Lindner (mikell@optonline.net)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 00:49:54 EDT

    On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 22:20:59 -0400 (EDT), J. Scott Berg said:

    > If I had to guess, I'd say you had gs-6.50 installed and were printing
    > a PostScript file produced by the Acrobat reader.

    Not in this case. I was running gs from stdin both times.

    On Sat, 09 Jun 2001 22:52:40 -0500 (CDT), Matt Roberds said:

    > Also, have you tried it with a different cable? A marginal cable might
    > work at lower speeds but fail at higher ones.

    The exact setup works flawlessly under Win98, and worked flawlessly with my
    previous PC with the same version of Linux!
    I would have suspected the PC HW were it not for WIn98 printing fine.

    Anyway, the situation becomes even more bizarre. At Tim Waugh's suggestion I
    added an option to /etc/modules.conf:

    options parport_pc io=0x378 io_hi=0

    and the printing problems went away. Not only that, after removing this option
    of /etc/modules.conf (i.e. restoring what was there), everything still works!
    In fact, after 2 months of not being able to print from Linux (I installed gs
    on Windows and had to reboot to print), everything works (printer-wise) and I
    am at a loss to figure out why. The HW is the same, and the SW is the same, and
    the configuration is the same.

    I spoke to another user who said something similar (he made some changes,
    printing started working and after he "unchanged" everything to find out what
    the fix was it still worked with the original config) and scoffed, but now i've
    experienced it!

    Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, they were all good, but not applicable in
    this case.

    --
    Michael Lindner
    http://home.att.net/~mikel