Re: [PARPORT] new ppdev operations

From: Uwe Bonnes (bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 13:01:21 EDT

        Tim> On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 06:40:47PM +0200, Uwe Bonnes wrote:
    >> isn't ppdev also good for any emulation (wine,dosemu), where the
    >> emulated program does direct port access e.g. with inb() and
    >> outb(). The emulated programm might also want to access the fifo
    >> addresses...

        Tim> That's not what ppdev is for. It isn't 'access to a PC-style
        Tim> parallel port', but 'access to an IEEE 1284 parallel port of some
        Tim> sort', with an interface that is supposed to make it fast for
        Tim> actually using PC-style ports since they're so common. For
        Tim> emulation, you need to actually do the emulation and pretend that
        Tim> you're a parallel port.

    No,

    I don't want an emulated port, I want to allow the emulated program to
    access the hardware. It could be done by running the emulation program with
    root access and do the inb() and outb() direct, but that's not good for the
    savefy of the system. But if for an port access the emulation program opens
    and claims the device, and then feeds the inb() and outb() as ioctls to the
    parport device,things should be save. And I think accesses to the extended
    ECP adresses should be allowed too, if the emulated program wants to do
    things like EPP or ECR access.

    Bye

    Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt --------- Tel. 06151 162516 -------- Fax. 06151 164321 ----------