[PARPORT] Can't open /dev/parport0

From: Kurt Roeckx (Q@ping.be)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 10:04:13 EDT

    I tried to use the parport today. I created /dev/parport0, and
    tried to open it, but open() failed, and set errno to ENODEV (No
    such device).

    I'm using 2.4.6, and I compiled it to support IEEE1284. This is
    what I get at startup:

    0x378: FIFO is 16 bytes
    0x378: writeIntrThreshold is 7
    0x378: readIntrThreshold is 7
    0x378: PWord is 8 bits
    0x378: Interrupts are ISA-Pulses
    0x378: ECP port cfgA=0x10 cfgB=0x4b
    0x378: ECP settings irq=7 dma=3
    parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq 11, using FIFO
    [PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,ECP]
    parport0: cpp_daisy: aa5500ff(98)
    parport0: assign_addrs: aa5500ff(98)
    parport0: cpp_daisy: aa5500ff(98)
    parport0: assign_addrs: aa5500ff(98)
    lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).

    I tried disabeling lp0 without any luck. I don't even have a
    printer attached to it. I tried adding lp=none, or lp=parport1
    in lilo.conf, each time it loaded that lp0. Is lp0 the problem
    at all?

    I tried with irq 7 too, but that conflicted with other devices,
    and it seems to be happy like this.

    Why is it saying there is no such device, and how do I fix it?

    Kurt