I am having a problem where attempting to copy large files from my SYQuest EZFlyer essentially locks the system up. Any tips would be appreciated. I've included all the information I have that seems pertinent, but please let me know if there is anything specific that would help in debugging.
- Syquest EZFlyer 230 is the only device on the only || port
- Redhat Linux 7.1 (kernel 2.4); using parport/paride/epat/pd that came with it
- Loading relevant modules manually, not at boot-time
- The device is found and can be mounted succesfully. I can read the directories with ls, write a small test file to the disk, etc. The filesystem on the disk is FAT (16?).
However, when I try to copy a large file (6megs and 9megs) off the SYQuest to my hard disk, the system behaves as follows:
- All input seems to be ignored, from console as well as network
- I can still switch consoles (ALT-Fx) and enter text, but the system doesn't respond (ever, it seems)
- The message "pda: do_pd_read_drq: status = 0x10052 = INDEX SEEK READY TMO" repeats indefinitely. The message prints out about once every 10 seconds.
- I've let it sit a few minutes in this state, to see what happens, and then powered off the system when nothing changed.
- ^C, ^Alt-Del, etc. produce no response at all
- This does NOT happen with smaller files (eg 90K)
What have I tried:
- Made sure || port was in EPP mode (wasn't originally) as instructed on http://www.torque.net/parport/paride.html
- Changed the || port range to 278 just in case there was a conflict with my Ethernet card
- Tried a second EZFlyer disk to see if the problem was somehow media related
Each of these things has produced no change in behavior.
Messages from insmod:
Aug 14 19:44:56 dhollm-pii kernel: paride: version 1.05 installed
Aug 14 19:45:00 dhollm-pii kernel: paride: epat registered as protocol 0
Aug 14 19:45:07 dhollm-pii kernel: pd: pd version 1.05, major 45, cluster 64, nice 0
Aug 14 19:45:07 dhollm-pii kernel: pda: epat 1.01, Shuttle EPAT chip c3 at 0x278, mode 5 (EPP-32), delay 1
Aug 14 19:45:07 dhollm-pii kernel: pda: SyQuest EZ230A, master, 450560 blocks [220M], (880/16/32), removable media
Aug 14 19:45:07 dhollm-pii kernel: pda: pda1
Aug 14 19:45:19 dhollm-pii kernel: pda: SyQuest EZ230A, master, 450560 blocks [220M], (880/16/32), removable media
Aug 14 19:45:19 dhollm-pii kernel: pda: pda1
dmesg (nothing else from bootup seems relevant):
SMSC Super-IO detection, now testing Ports 2F0, 370 ...
parport0: PC-style at 0x278 [PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP]
parport0: cpp_mux: aa55f00f52ad51(06)
parport0: cpp_daisy: aa5500ff(00)
parport0: assign_addrs: aa5500ff(00)
parport0: No more nibble data (0 bytes)
parport0: faking semi-colon
parport0: Legacy device
Do You Yahoo!?
Make international calls for as low as $0.04/minute with Yahoo! Messenger.
-- To unsubscribe, send mail to: email@example.com --
-- with the single word "unsubscribe" in the body of the message. --
This archive was generated by hypermail 2b29 : Tue Aug 14 2001 - 20:26:50 EDT