Re: [PARPORT] ECP mode transfers in 2.4.x kernels

From: Philip Blundell (philb@gnu.org)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 12:04:04 EDT

    >+#ifdef CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_FIFO
    >[...]
    >+#else /* CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_FIFO */
    >+ printk (KERN_INFO "lp%d: compatibility mode\n", minor);
    >+ lp_table[minor].best_mode = IEEE1284_MODE_COMPAT;
    >+#endif /* CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_FIFO */

    Why do you need to explicitly check CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_FIFO? That doesn't seem
    like the kind of thing that drivers should be doing. I think the parport
    ieee1284 code and/or parport_pc itself should arrange for things to behave
    "properly" regardless of that option. If parport_pc can't do ECP in any
    meaningful way without the FIFO being enabled, maybe it should fiddle the
    advertised modes to not claim ECP support at all.

    p.