[PARPORT] Re: amiga printing problems

From: Roman Zippel (zippel@linux-m68k.org)
Date: Thu Aug 30 2001 - 14:31:36 EDT

    Hi,

    Ken Tyler wrote:

    > > > My guess is that the check for busy doesn't work correctly in
    > > > parport_ieee1284_write_compat, on the other hand I don't know how this
    > > > then could work on a pc...
    >
    > Don't think busy test is the problem, what seems to be wrong is that once
    > the port wakes up, parport_ieee1284_write_compat sends bytes out
    > irrespective of ACK interrupts, over-running the port.

    Let's try my suspicion. :)
    Could you disable this part in
    drivers/parport/ieee1284_ops.c:parport_ieee1284_write_compat():

            /* Is the peripheral ready yet? */
            if (!parport_wait_peripheral (port, mask, val))
                    /* Skip the loop */
                    goto ready;

    IMO this should already help a bit, although there might be new
    problems.

    Second, you can simply remove the call to parport_enable_irq(), the irq
    is never disabled, so it doesn't need to be enabled all the time. This
    will get rid of the kernel warnings.

    > I can't see anything in parport_amiga.c in combination with ieee1284_ops.c
    > that supports a write -> strobe -> ack -> interrupt -> do it again loop.

    Because it's automatically handled in the hardware, otherwise it had to
    happen in the write_control function.

    bye, Roman