[PARPORT] VMWARE, parport (kernel 2.4.9)

From: Paulo da Silva (psdasilva@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 30 2001 - 17:57:50 EDT

    Hi,

    I have vmware installed with kernel 2.4.9.
    I can not use the printer.
    Here are the symptoms:

    Trying to connect I got the following message
      Unsupported parallel port hardware (no PS/2 or ECP mode)
      for /dev/parport0.
      Failed to connect device parallel0

    The BIOS has the option ECP+EPP.

    The kernel logs:
    ppdev0: claim the port first
    ppdev0: registered pardevice
    ppdev0: released pardevice because user-space forgot
    ppdev0: unregistered pardevice

    I don't know if this problem began to
    occur with k 2.4.9 or before since I
    rarely need to use the printer from the guest OS.
    I have used it before however.

    TIA for any help.
    Paulo da Silva