Re: [PARPORT] Reverse engineering a parallel device protocol

From: Joost Kooij (joost@topaz.mdcc.cx)
Date: Sun Oct 28 2001 - 13:34:28 EST

    On Sun, Oct 28, 2001 at 07:44:27PM +0100, Alexandre Courbot wrote:

    > > isn't there something to get used under wine? this would be IMHO the
    > > most easiest solution: to analyse the date before it gets sent to the
    > > parallel port and application, respectivly.
    >
    > Unfortunately, because of the VxD the software doesn't work under Wine.
    > And I fear that Wine will never support VxDs for obvious technical
    > reasons. Else, it would be the preferred solution, I agree.

    Perhaps you should take a look at plex86 <http://www.plex86.org/>
    In fact I remember reading an account of someone using bochs, the
    parent project to plex86, to reverse engineer a winprinter. Alas,
    I do not have a url for that, but it shouldn't be too hard to find
    using a search engine, I hope.

    Cheers,

    Joost