[PARPORT] vmware 3.0 parport0 not working

From: Gian Ghodrat (wired@chello.at)
Date: Sun Oct 28 2001 - 17:08:07 EST

    Hi all,

    I just installed vmware 3.0Beta, since i wanted to get my GDI Printer
    working without booting into WinDos.

    whenever i select /dev/lp0 (or /dev/par0) as Lpt1 Parallel port, vmware
    tells me:

    "the bidirectional virtual device LPT1 is using the old-style
    unidirectional host service /dev/lp0.
    You must either turn off bidirectional mode for LPT1 in the
    configuration editor, or change its path to a parport-style
    device(probably /dev/parport0).
    Device will start discontinued."

    When I change to /dev/parport0 it tells me:
    "/dev/parport0 not found, no such device"

    dmesg tells me:

    parport0: PC-style at 0x3bc [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
    parport0: cpp_daisy: aa5500ff(18)
    parport0: assign_addrs: aa5500ff(18)
    parport0: faking semi-colon
    parport0: Printer, Canon LBP-660
    parport_pc: Via 686A parallel port: io=0x3BC
    lp0: using parport0 (polling).

    cat /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/dma
    -1

    cat /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/irq
    -1

    cat /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/modes
    PCSPP,TRISTATE

    lsmod:

    parport_pc 14280 1 (autoclean)
    lp 5408 0 (autoclean)
    parport 24288 1 (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]

    Please help!

    Gian