[PARPORT] Parallel flash card reader

From: Richard Kimber (rkimber@ntlworld.com)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 09:56:22 EST

    I'm a complete novice at these somewhat technical matters and would
    appreciate some guidance on how to set up a Swift flash card reader that
    works fine in Windows. I got not help from the manufacturer.

    I've tried loading what I thought might be the right modules:
    parport_pc 23024 0 (autoclean)
    bpck 9408 0
    paride 3616 1 [bpck]
    parport 24576 0 [parport_pc paride]

    when I did insmod pd i got
    /lib/modules/2.4.3-20mdk/kernel/drivers/block/paride/pd.o.gz: init_module:
    Operation not permitted
    Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
    invalid IO or IRQ parameters

    But maybe I'm not using the right drivers etc. I don't *really* understand
    what I'm doing - just trying to follow whatever instructions I can find.

    dmesg says:

    parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP]
    parport0: Found 1 daisy-chained devices
    parport0: No more nibble data (126 bytes)
    parport0: only read 126 of 1000 ID bytes
    parport0: No more nibble data (1 bytes)
    parport0: device reported incorrect length field (34950, should be 127)
    parport0 (addr 0): Legacy device
    lp0: using parport0 (polling).

    though later it says
    parport0: Found 4 daisy-chained devices
    (I just have a printer and the flash card reader.)
    pda: Autoprobe failed
    pd: no valid drive found
    pd: pd version 1.05, major 45, cluster 64, nice 0
    pda: Invalid parameters
    pd: no valid drive found

    Any help would be much appreciated.
    - Richard.