[PARPORT] Microtek model mrs-600v3

From: Rene Seindal (rene@seindal.dk)
Date: Thu Nov 29 2001 - 14:13:11 EST

    Hi,

    I have a no-name parport scanner with a label on the back saying
    Microtek model mrs-600v3. It is a fairly old scanner that I have never
    managed to get functional with linux.

    I load the scsi module, ppscsi and onscsi which goes well and gives the
    following output:

    ppSCSI 0.92 (0.92) installed
    onscsi.0: onscsi 0.91 (0.92), OnSpec 90c26 at 0x378 mode 4 (EPP-32) dly
    1 nice 0 sg 16
    scsi1 : onscsi
      Vendor: Model: Scanner 300A4 Rev: 2.50
      Type: Scanner ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Attached scsi generic sg1 at scsi1, channel 0, id 6, lun 0, type 6

    It's /dev/sg1 because I already have an IDE CD-RW under ide-scsi.

    When I try to scan something using xsane I can usually make a preview
    and start scanning, but almost everytime I get errors like these and the
    result is a partially scanned image.

    onscsi.0: WARNING: data read overran by 95909/223169 bytes
    onscsi.0: WARNING: data read overran by 402/127662 bytes
    onscsi.0: WARNING: data read overran by 38105/165365 bytes
    onscsi.0: WARNING: data read overran by 58571/185831 bytes

    Sometimes the error occurs already at the preview. Sometimes I do manage
    to scan an image. After each error the scanner blocks and I have to
    turn it off and on again to retry. Otherwise I get I/O Errors.

    All this is with Debian Linux (woody), kernel 2.4.10 with the ppscsi
    patches applied.

    I have installed libsane and sane, both version 1.0.4 and xsane, version
    0.78.

    I have a mechanical switchbox between the computer and the scanner. It
    has never cause problems before.

    --
    René Seindal (rene@seindal.dk)              http://www.seindal.dk/rene/