[PARPORT] Little Help Needed

From: Bob Hyland, PMP (BobHyland@AfterHoursIT.com)
Date: Sun Mar 24 2002 - 18:25:58 EST

    I need a little help with a vexing problem.

    Background:

    I am fairly new to Linux. I have a RedHat 7.1 (Kernel 2.4.2-2) box that I
    use as a file server. I also have a Coyote Linux based router / firewall
    that runs on an old I-486. I also have several Windows based machines.

    On the RedHat unit, I run Samba to share files and a printer. Here's where
    it gets interesting: Best I can tell, Samba take the input stream being sent
    to the printer and redirects the raw data to a file. Then Samba launches lpr
    to send the raw file to the printer. Then, Samba launches "lpr -P<printer
    name> <file name>" and everything prints just fine.

    Issue:

    The printer (1) is not used often and (2) is in another part of the house.
    Therefore, (1) I do not want to leave it on all the time and (2) I do not
    want to have to run across the house every time I want to print something.
    What I would like to be able to do is print a number of things, leave them
    in a queue for a while, and just turn on the printer when I am ready for
    them to print.

    However, if the printer is turned off, it appears as if lpr does not
    recognize this fact and tries to print anyway. I presume this has something
    to do with the port needing to be configured to look for a "ready" line.

    Surely this is not that strange a request. So, other people must have
    tackled this before. I figured this was a good place to look for this
    expertise. Anyone ever run into this before?

    Thank you,

    Bob Hyland