[PARPORT] on installing Backpack

From: Carl C. von Bell (carl_vonbell@sil.org)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 21:05:34 EDT

    Friends.

    I am trying to install a Backpack CD-RW (model 192100) onto my Mandrake 8.2
    (using the P-port), but I do not know how to go about it. I wrote the
    appropriate (I think) Google group (see below) but got not a single answer.
    Maybe my question is shows everybody that I am new to Linux, and therefore
    not worth bothering. :-) I scanned through the messages in Google and also
    in this paraport group, but I was overwhelmed by the stuff there. So, help,
    I am only looking for simple instructions what to do, if there are such
    things available. :-))

    Thanks in advance,
    Carl
    ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    Friends.

    I am trying to get a Backpack Cd-RW to work under Mandrake 8.2. I
    looked at the homepage of the manufacturer and they say there is a
    file called bpck6.o included with the Mandrake CD.
    Sure enough. I found it on my HD under
    lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/block/paride but it was a .gz file.
    What I did then was to unpack that file, and it become bpck6.o, a
    binary file.

    Well, I do not know what to do with that file. Where should I put it
    so that the system would recognize it when booting? I tried to copy
    and paste it into a folder where I found several other binary files
    that end in .o, but it did not let me paste anything in there. :-(

    Grateful for good suggestions.

    Carl