[PARPORT] HP 3200C scanner: making it work

From: Paul W. Abrahams (abrahams@acm.org)
Date: Fri Jun 21 2002 - 21:50:13 EDT

    At last I've gotten my HP3200C scanner to work under Linux. Thanks to
    Stefan Voltz (?) for the critical pointers. I'm posting this info both for
    current subscribers to linux-parport and for anyone in the future browsing
    the archives.

    The HP3200C is a relabelled UMax 1200P, and the critical backend for the SANE
    scanner control software is sane-umax_pp (the "pp" standing for "parallel
    port"). Here are the necessary steps.

    1. Check your BIOS for the setting of your parallel port. If it's set to
    ECP/EPP, as mine was, change the setting to EPP. Also note the port address
    (in my case, the usual value of 0x378).

    2. Edit the file /etc/sane.d/umax_pp.conf as follows:

        (a) Set the port (under DEVICES) to 0x378.
        (b) Set the model number to 1200 (1600 might also work).

    3. Edit the file /etc/sane.d/dll.conf by uncommenting the line umax_pp.

    4. Change the permissions of the file /usr/X11R6/bin/scanimage to "+s" so
    that it runs with root privileges. (This step might not really be necessary.)

    5. Test that the scanner is recognized by issuing the command "scanimage -L".
    In my case I got the message:

    device `umax_pp:0x378' is a UMAX Astra 1600P flatbed scanner

    Paul Abrahams (abrahams@acm.org)