[PARPORT] Old parallell Zip100+kernel-2.4.19-rc3-ac3+devfs

From: Frank Mikkelsen (QIS) (Frank.Mikkelsen@gis.ericsson.se)
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 07:00:56 EDT

    Hi

    I'm having a problem to access my Zip100 with the following setup:
    - Gentoo Linux 1.2 distribution built from scratch
    - I believe that it is a kernel-2.4.19-rc3 with Alan Cox's rc3 patches (Gentoo Linux kernel-2.4.19-r7)
    - devfs enabled and mounted at boot on /dev

    When the kernel fires up the drive gets detected by the ppa driver which is compiled into the kernel, no problems there.
    The problems comes when I want to access the /dev entry corresponding to the Zip drive.
    devfsd desn't create any entries for the drive which should (as far as I have been able to figure out) be /dev/sda which in turn should be a symbolic link to /dev/scsi/XX/XX/target6/disc, I don't have any other scsi devices in the system.

    If I look in the /dev file system I find /dev/scsi/XX/XX/target6/ that seemes to comply with the target ID found by the ppa driver at startup. However there are no actual device nodes for the disc nor the partitions in the /dev/scsi/XX/XX/target6 directory

    I have read somewhere that drivers in the kernel must be made devfs aware, is it possible that the ppa driver hasn't been rewritten to support devfs?
    If this is the case, is there a way to bypass the devfs problem, like creating the device node manually or in a startup script?
    I have tried to manually create the /dev/sda device node (mknod /dev/sda b 8 0, I'm not sure if I got the major/minor numbers correct though) but I can still not access the Zip drive (using fdisk).

    I have looked at the /etc/devfsd.conf file and it looks as if devfsd is configured to support both new and old device naming schemes. At least it does it for all other devices.

    I have tried to boot up with and without a partitioned and formatted disc in the Zip drive, but it makes no difference.

    Any ideas?

    Med vänlig hälsning / Best regards

    Frank Mikkelsen
    Consultant, Qbranch Malmö AB