[PARPORT] pcd fails to cooperate

From: Matthew Green (elpida_@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 00:32:08 EDT

    I'm running into some problems running a backpack driver on
    my linux box, and I was hoping you might be able to lend a
    hand. I try to execute
    # insmod paride
    # insmod bpck6
    # insmod pcd verbose=1

    It's that last one that tanks. I always get
    Using /lib/modules/2.4.19/kernel/drivers/block/paride/pcd.o
    /lib/modules/2.4.19/kernel/drivers/block/paride/pcd.o:
    init_module: Operation not permitted
    Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module
    parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters

    dmesg offers:
    paride: version 1.06 installed (parport)
    bpck6: BACKPACK Protocol Driver V2.0.2
    bpck6: Copyright 2001 by Micro Solutions, Inc., DeKalb IL. USA
    paride: bpck6 registered as protocol 0
    pcd: pcd version 1.07, major 46, nice 0
    pcd0: 0x378 is parport0
    pcd0: Autoprobe failed
    pcd: No CD-ROM drive found

    The IO and IRQ are correct, but then, I'm not sure it even gets that far.
    What might be the issue here?

    Thanks.
    - m