Re: [PARPORT] Need lots of information about parallel-port operation & probing

From: Jonathan Buzzard (jonathan@buzzard.org.uk)
Date: Tue Nov 26 2002 - 11:03:40 EST

    alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk said:
    > On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 15:03, Peter Asemann wrote:
    > >For an assignment I need to write an "odd" piece of software, a
    > >parallel port hardware emulator.
    >
    > Unfortunately the only obvious commercial purpose for such a device is
    > to misuse software protection dongles. So its a circumvention device,
    > and probably illegal to make 8)

    I can think of a few of others.

    Though it has just occurred to me that an automatic bidirectional parallel
    port switch is a DMCA circumvention device. Before you ask yes I have seen
    a parallel port dongle being shared between more than one computer to run
    the same piece of software simultaneously. Handy when the vendor of
    the software has gone down the tube and you need another copy but
    there is nobody to sell it to you.

    JAB.

    --
    Jonathan A. Buzzard                 Email: jonathan@buzzard.org.uk
    Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44(0)1661-832195