Re: [PARPORT] BackpackCD/Suse8.1/pcd problem

From: Gabriel M. Elder (gmelder@centurytel.net)
Date: Sun Jan 19 2003 - 17:04:12 EST

    I personally have an older 4x4x20 backpack cd-rw (FYI - i've been pretty
    happy with it; it actually works best under Linux, in my experience). It
    is Model #: 190130, S/N 19202416, E/N 00934, and uses the "series 6
    driver" (it actually has this printed on the underbelly of the drive).
    As a user, this means i have to modprobe the bpck6.o driver before i
    load the pg.o driver to use this drive. In fact, (THIS IS IMPORTANT) if
    i load the bpck.o instead of the bpck6.o (which it lets me do!), and
    then try to modprobe pg.o, i get an insmod error message similar to what
    you've included (thanx!). In my RedHat 8.0 installation there are two
    backpack drivers included as part of what i'd call a normal
    installation: bpck6.o and bpck.o. I'd be surprised if your distro didn't
    include both drivers as well.

    How this is relevant:

    What you'll want to do is carefully flip over your backpack cdrom drive,
    check the info for your drive and jot it all down. Then try a 'modprobe
    -v bpck' in place of the bpck6 driver, as you've mentioned. If that
    doesn't work, post back to the list with this additional identifying
    information for your drive. And then, maybe one of the kind folks at
    MicroSolutions who monitors this list periodically will grace you with a
    more enlightened solution, as they have been known to do in the past
    AFAIK. Also, check SUSE's bug reports at their website (presumably) for
    any known issues regarding this drive problem. If you do find something
    that works, i would recommend posting back to the list with a brief
    solution, for posterity.

    If i have erred, or someone knows better, please let us all know.

    - gabriel