Re: [PARPORT] under ftape, ftmt accesses floppy instead of parallel port, huh ?.....

From: Stephen Mollett (molletts@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Feb 10 2003 - 14:24:39 EST

    On Sunday 09 Feb 2003 23:29, Courtney Thomas wrote:
    > What is device pg0 ?

    Sorry, I meant 'pt0', the first parallel tape device. (Like 'st0' for SCSI
    tapes.) pg0 is a parallel-port-attached ATAPI 'generic' device, most commonly
    used for CD writers (cf. sg0). I guess a pg device could be used for a
    scanner in theory (SCSI scanners use sg IIRC) but I've never come across an
    ATAPI scanner... :-)

    [All the references to SCSI are because ATAPI is basically a weird chimera
    consisting of SCSI commands being sent over an IDE/ATA bus. So ATAPI devices
    can be considered to be SCSI devices behind some sort of converter/adaptor.]

    > When I try to load it, I get "version compiled for not identified" ?

    Hmm, again, that should have been the pt module rather than pg. From the error
    it sounds like perhaps the module may be mismatched with your kernel.

    Stephen