Re: [PARPORT] partitions on Zip disk, ATAPI Zip drive via pf, on26, paride

From: Robert Heller (heller@deepsoft.com)
Date: Fri Apr 25 2003 - 14:54:46 EDT

    In message <16041.28100.412845.726694@ke1g.mv.com>, Bill Freeman writes:
    > I have an external prallel port generic IDE drive box that
    >works with on26. Using a normal IDE disk and pd things are just fine.
    >
    > I'd like to use it with an ATAPI Zip drive. Using pf, fdisk
    >can see it just fine, and I can, for example, eject the disk with
    >eject.
    >
    > But, since pf was apparently written with non-partitioned
    >disks (LS-120, CDs) in mind. Zip disks, however, are partitioned.

    *Normal* (internal) IDE Zip drives, show up like 'regular' IDE disks --
    /dev/hdX, which can be partitioned (or not). Same is true of SCSI Zip
    drives, both as true SCSI Zip drives (yes, these do exist) and as
    parallel port types (which have a built-in parallel port SCSI
    interface) -- they show up as 'regular' SCSI disks, eg /dev/sdX.
    Shouldn't the IDE (ATAPI) Zip drive connected via your parallel-port
    IDE controller also show up as just another IDE disk?

    > Is there something short of reworking the pf driver to support
    >partitioning that will get me around this?

    Can you see the Zip drive as a 'regular' IDE disk via your parallel
    port IDE interface (I'm guessing /dev/pdXn)? If so, that is your
    solution.

    Note: you don't *have* to partition Zip carts, although it is a normal
    thing to do.

    > Bill

    >-- with the single word "unsubscribe" in the body of the message. --
                                         \/
    Robert Heller ||InterNet: heller@cs.umass.edu
    http://vis-www.cs.umass.edu/~heller || heller@deepsoft.com
    http://www.deepsoft.com /\FidoNet: 1:321/153