Re: [PARPORT] partitions on Zip disk, ATAPI Zip drive via pf, on26, paride

From: Stephen Mollett (molletts@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Apr 25 2003 - 17:17:31 EDT

    On Friday 25 Apr 2003 18:17, Bill Freeman wrote:
    > ... pf was apparently written with non-partitioned
    > disks (LS-120, CDs) in mind. Zip disks, however, are partitioned.
    > Is there something short of reworking the pf driver to support
    > partitioning that will get me around this?

    Hmm... The simplest solution I can think of is to use a loop device with an
    offset.

    I've just tried this on a floppy on which I ran fdisk:

    fdisk -lu /dev/fd0

    Disk /dev/fd0: 2 MB, 2949120 bytes
    2 heads, 36 sectors/track, 80 cylinders, total 5760 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

        Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/fd0p1 36 5759 2862 83 Linux

    The start sector of the partition is 36 so I need to offset by
    36 * 512 = 18432 bytes:

    losetup -o 18432 /dev/loop0 /dev/fd0

    Then I can use /dev/loop0 instead. I've run mke2fs on it and the partition
    table seems to have survived. That's as far as I can test it, unfortunately.
    You'll have to try it with a zip disk (using mkdosfs of course) and then see
    if a windoze box can mount it.

    Hope it works

    Stephen