[PARPORT] partitions on Zip disk, ATAPI Zip drive via pf, on26, paride

From: Bill Freeman (f@ke1g.mv.com)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 15:51:06 EDT

            The easy way to do this is with the -o option to losetup, as
    several people pointed out. I'm summarizing my experiences below for
    the archive, in case it turns out to be useful to someone in the
    future. Thanks to all who responded.

            1. The drive in question is an ATAPI Zip 250MB drive.

            2. I've only used it with 100MB media (cartridges, but 250MB
    should yield to similar efforts.

            3. The module stack that I'm using, under a recent 2.4 Linux
    kernel (that which ships on the original release of RedHat 9.0) is:
    pf -> on26 -> paride. Obviously, you replace on26 with the protocol
    driver suitable to your adapter. The paride documentation files in
    the kernel source are most helpful.

            4. The drive is not accessible using the pd module, but the
    pf module understands the hardware just fine.

            5. Now it's time to figure out how far into /dev/pf0 the
    partition begins. Run 'fdisk /dev/pf0'. Use the x command to enter
    "expert" mode. Use the p command to print the partition table. Yes,
    there is a p command to print the partition table in non-expert mode,
    but it doesn't give you the same collection of information.

            The header printed tells you how many sectors, heads, and
    cylinders you have on the media, 32, 64, and 95 for the 100MB media.
    The partition line tells you, among other things, which sector, using
    which head, on which cylinder, the partition begins. In the case of
    the 100MB media it was sector 1, head 1, cylinder 0.

            At this point you must remember that disk blocks here are 512
    bytes, no matter than many of your Linux tools report in 1k "blocks".
    (I can remember disks with different physical block sizes, but I've
    never run across them in the PC world. Probably fdisk would tell me
    about that too.) You must also remember that while cylinder and head
    numbering starts with 0, sector numbering starts with 1.

            Then, if H is the total number of heads, h is the head on which
    the partition starts, S is the total number of sectors, s is the sector
    at which the partition starts, c is the cylinder on which the partition
    starts, and B is the number of bytes per block, then the necessary
    offset is:

        B * (s - 1 + (S * (h + (H * c))))

    or, in my case:

        512 * (1 - 1 + (32 * (1 + (64 * 0)))) == 16384

            Use q to exit fdisk.

            6. Set up a loop back device to let you read and write pf0
    with the offset calculated in item 5, above, and mount the loop back
    device:

        losetup -o 16384 /dev/loop0 /dev/pf0
        mount -t auto /dev/loop0 /mnt/mnt

            Read and write the drive as any VFAT filesystem.

            7. These may not be completely necessary, but when finished, I
    did the following:

        umount /dev/loop0
        losetup -d /dev/loop0
        eject /dev/pf0

            If you want, you can remove the modules at this point
    (assuming that you dynamically loaded them, rather than building them
    into your kernel).

            8. I've pretty much decided that this is easy enough that I'm
    not going to sign up to "upgrade" the pf driver to handle partitions.

                                                            Bill