Re: [PARPORT] partitions on Zip disk, ATAPI Zip drive via pf, on26, paride

From: Robert Heller (heller@deepsoft.com)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 14:41:27 EDT

    In message <16047.64622.926054.354309@ke1g.mv.com>, Bill Freeman writes:
    >Robert Heller writes:
    > > Bill Freeman <f@ke1g.mv.com>,
    > > ... In any case, it makes me very glad
    > > that I have managed to mostly avoid the whole IDE mess in the first
    > > place. The *only* IDE device I have to deal with is the hard drive in
    > > my laptop -- ALL of the rest of my computers are 100% SCSI (Hard
    > > drives, CD-ROM, tape drive, Zip drive, ORB drive, and Scanner). These
    > > sorts of sillienesses don't happen in the SCSI world -- *my* Zip drive
    > > is properly handled as a partitioned device (/dev/sdcN). ...
    >
    > I congratulate you upon your wealth. And I congratulate the
    >developers of the SCSI drivers on their clairvoyance in not splitting
    >the upper level drivers in such a way that removable media was assumed
    >to be unpartitioned. But, at least until the New Hampshire high tech
    >job market improves, I'll be living with the hand-me-downs that I
    >have.

    It is not a matter of wealth. SCSI devices are not really that much
    more expensive. Often over the long run they are often *cheaper*, since
    they often last 2-3 times longer.

    And no clairvoyance was involved in the how the upper level SCSI drivers
    were written. The SCSI protocol standard does not have any distintion
    about removable media read/write disk drives being any different from
    non removable media read/write disk drives. There is not "SCSI Floppy
    disk driver", since such a driver makes no sense.

    > Bill

    >-- with the single word "unsubscribe" in the body of the message. --
                                         \/
    Robert Heller ||InterNet: heller@cs.umass.edu
    http://vis-www.cs.umass.edu/~heller || heller@deepsoft.com
    http://www.deepsoft.com /\FidoNet: 1:321/153