Re: [PARPORT] custom cabling

From: Blaise Gassend (blaise@gassend.com)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 14:20:00 EDT

    Hi Nate,

    Pins that can be both inputs and outputs can't be both at the same time.

    When they are set as inputs, you read the corresponding register and you
    get the value that is input on the pin. When they are outputs, reads
    from the register show the value that you set the pin to.

    The pins that appear in the control register are normally outputs. You
    have to tell the parallel port that you want them to be outputs before
    you can read data from them (if they can be inputs).

    For the data bits, bit 6 of the control register determines whether the
    pins are inputs or outputs.

    For the other lines, I have lost the reference that said that the Strobe
    pin can be either an input or an output. If you refer to
    http://www.beyondlogic.org/epp/epp.htm and
    http://www.beyondlogic.org/ecp/ecp.htm its direction can't be changed.
    If its direction can be changed then there is a bit somewhere that you
    have to flip to explicitely say that you want Strobe to be an input.

    Blaise

    Quoted from Nate Jenkins on Wed, May 14, 2003 at 10:55:47AM -0700.