[PARPORT] Re: Intel Bug

From: Adam Baker (parport@baker-net.org.uk)
Date: Wed Jun 18 2003 - 16:47:47 EDT

    Rather a long time ago, Sat, 30 Oct 1999, in fact Tim Waugh wrote

    >Does anybody remember why we check for the Intel ECPEPP bug? The symptom
    >is that the EPP timeout bit is _not_ set to 1 when not in EPP mode.

    >The original check is due to David Campbell, and it is found in his
    >id_probe program as well as older versions of ppa.c.

    >I can't think of what bad effects it could have. It would be nice if we
    >could get rid of the check if there really isn't anything bad that can
    >result.

    but the archives contain no answer to this question. Is there anyone around
    now who knows the answer?

    The reason I ask is that on my Asus A7V333 motherboard with a ITE IT8703F-A
    Super I/O chip it fails this test even when EPP mode is enabled in the BIOS.
    I've tried deleting this test and my parport then includes EPP in it's list
    of supported modes. I presume it does really work as my parallel port scanner
    works reliably after making the change and doesn't without. The onscsi driver
    that the scanner uses appears to prefer to work with EPP if available.

    I haven't yet experimented to see if EPP is detected or if it works if it is
    disabled in the BIOS but I guess that is the next stage.