[PARPORT] Trouble printing via PCI parallel port card

From: kizito@freeuk.com
Date: Wed Aug 20 2003 - 16:35:42 EDT

    Hello freinds,

    Could you help me with a PCI parallel port card and printer problem?

    I am trying build a GNU/Linux system from scratch. Now I am failing to
    get my printer working through above mentioned card. The one on the
    motherboard has packed in. Below are the details of my attempts (
    lenghty text):

    The machine has an Athlon Thunderbird 1.3 MHz processor and 512MB of
    RAM. It has an ABIT KR7-133 motherboard.

    The card is in PCI slot number 2.

    The distribution is LinuxFromScratch version 3.1/4.0 with kernel 2.4.20.

    The printer is an Epson Stylus C82 and it works with usb in Mandrake 9.
    1. The parallel port does do something in LFS because the printer makes
    noises and its light blinks when the machine is about to shutdown.

    After physically installng the card, running lspci -vv gave:

    00:0b.0 Parallel controller: AFAVLAB Technology Inc TK9902 (prog-if 02 [
    ECP])
    Subsystem: AFAVLAB Technology Inc TK9902
    Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
    Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

    The manufacturers instructions said:

    1. Load addreses in kernel. Define them as LPT0, 1, and 2 (use default
    addresses)
    Default addresses:
    LPT0 - 03BC-03BE
    LPT1 - 0378-037A
    LPT2 - 0278-027A

    2. RedHat 6.0 use version 2.2 kernel or higher
    a. Load PCIUTILS using the SETUPPCI command
    b. ADD lines:
    SETPCI -V -D 14db:2120 0X10.L=0x278
    SETPCI -V -D 14db:2120 0X14.L=0x678

    However I don't know how you do number 1 and for number 2, there is no
    SETUPPCI and instead of SETPCI there is setpci, which does not like the
    above syntax.
    I understand that 14db represents AFAVLAB and 2120 represents TK9902,
    from the fact that
    lspci -n -vv contains:

    00:0b.0 Class 0701: 14db:2120 (prog-if 02)
    Subsystem: 14db:2120

    Following other instructions from the 'net I edited /etc/modules.conf
    to include:

    options parport_pc io=0x278,0xd400 irq=5,10

    I ran depmod and restarted the machine. The output of dmesg contained:

    parport0: PC-style at 0x278, irq 5 [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
    parport1: PC-style at 0xd400 (0xd800), irq 10 [PCSPP,TRISTATE]

    and:

    lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).
    lp1: using parport1 (interrupt-driven).

    This line is added to the dmesg output after an attempt to print with
    the printer connected by the parallel card.

    lp1 off-line

    Following the advice in parport.txt, I had the line below in /etc/
    modules.conf:

    options parport_pc io=0x278,0xd400 irq=none,none:

    dmesg contained:

    parport0: PC-style at 0x278 [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
    parport1: PC-style at 0xd400 (0xd800) [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
    lp0: using parport0 (polling).
    lp1: using parport1 (polling).

    When I attempted to print, with echo -en "test" > /dev/lp1, the line
    below was added to the dmesg output:

    lp1 off-line

    I have CUPS 1.1.9 installed, and /etc/printcap contains:

    colour_720|colour_720:rm=muwawa:rp=colour_720:

    put ther by CUPS.