[PARPORT] Parport modes

From: Ian Malone (imalone@cantab.net)
Date: Sat Aug 30 2003 - 21:46:46 EDT

    Hi, I'm putting together a power monitoring system
    using the parallel port to select input channels
    using the control pins and read in data through the
    data pins. I need a little help understanding the
    parallel port modes:

    I've tried various modes, but I'm having problems
    with the control pins. The SelectIn pin seems to
    stay low in all modes I've tried except
    IEEE1284_MODE_COMPAT. (I've lost the notes of the
    modes I tried, but it includes PARPORT_MODE_PCSPP
    PARPORT_MODE_TRISTATE and both PARPORT_MODE_ECP and
    EPP. This is on RedHat 9 with the 2.4.20-19.9
    kernel. Can anyone explain why this is, and what
    modes I should use if I want to access control pin
    directly?

    At the same time the system I'm using to write
    the software [1] will happily read from the data
    pins in IEEE1284_MODE_COMPAT, but the machine it
    will be run on [2] will not. Having said that,
    it's running the 2.4.20-8 kernel, and so far I've
    only tried using the executable compiled on the
    development machine.

    [1] Gigabyte GA-7DXP motherboard with on-board
     parallel port.
    [2] Old Pentium PCChips motherboard with onboard
     parallel port. BIOS choice of Standard, EPP or
     ECP.

    This is the relevant bit of code for the control
    pin problem. I've left out the error checking on
    open () and ioctl () for clarity. device is
    /dev/parport0 and permissions are set correctly.

    #include <stdlib.h>
    #include <unistd.h>
    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <time.h>
    #include <sys/types.h>
    #include <sys/stat.h>
    #include <fcntl.h>
    #include <sys/ioctl.h>
    #include <linux/ppdev.h>
    #include <linux/parport.h>

    int start_port ( char *device, int *fd_pnt ) {

      int fd, mode, WRITE = 0, READ = 1;

      *fd_pnt = open ( device, O_RDWR );
      fd = *fd_pnt;

      ioctl ( fd, PPCLAIM );
      mode = IEEE1284_MODE_COMPAT;
      ioctl ( fd, PPSETMODE, &mode );
      ioctl ( fd, PPDATADIR, &READ );

      return 0;
    }

    // Called immediately after start port, and given the
    // returned fd.
    int set_control ( int fd, int i ) {

      int invert, output;
      invert = (PARPORT_CONTROL_STROBE | PARPORT_CONTROL_AUTOFD
                | PARPORT_CONTROL_SELECT );

      output = ( invert ^ I );

      ioctl ( fd, PPWCONTROL, &output )

      return 0;
    }

    --
    You have viruses, but I have resistance, and I am alive, and you--
    --are dead - Ken MacLeod, The Star Fraction