Re: [PARPORT] pcd trouble w/ Backpack and Toshiba

From: Dr. Dave Williams P.E. (drdcw@drdcw.net)
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 15:42:32 EST

    Al:

    Thanks very much for your assistance.

    The drive does read CD-RW discs just fine (including that Debian disc)
    under Windows (95 and 2000) using standard drivers. I was actually
    surprised (and quite pleased) to see that and have never had any
    trouble at all with CD-RW discs under Windows. FIWI, the CMOS
    setting I'm using under Linux is identical to the one I use under Windows.

    Is it even necessary to have a disc in the drive when pcd is loaded? I have
    tried both commercial CD-ROM and CD-RW discs with equal results. In
    my quest, I've seen dmesg samples posted which seem to indicate that
    the drive itself responds to pcd with some return data, such as:

    > pcd0: Sharing parport0 at 0x378
    > pcd0: BACKPACK Protocol Driver V2.0.2ac
    > pcd0: Copyright 2001 by Micro Solutions, Inc., DeKalb IL.
    > pcd0: BACKPACK 2.0.2ac, Micro Solutions BACKPACK Drive at 0x378
    > pcd0: Unit: 45 Mode:1 (8-bit) Delay 0
    > pcd0: identify completion: alt=0x88 stat=0x88 err=0x188 loop=160001
    > phase=136
    > pcd0: Request sense before command: alt=0x88 stat=0x88 err=0x188
    > loop=160001 phase=136

    I don't get any of this. All I get is "adapter not found", "autoprobe
    failed", or
    "no CD-ROM drive found". I get the same results whether the drive is
    connected
    or not, so it seems to me like pcd isn't seeing the drive at all. I
    never get to the
    point where the drive will mount to read the disc, although I have tried.

    Since my last post, I got a hold of setid.exe and confirmed that the
    unit ID is
    indeed 33 as it's supposed to be based on the serial number. I was
    suspicious
    that this might have been changed way back when, but now I know we're using
    the correct value.

    Any further suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated. I suppose I
    could live with Windows on this machine, but I'd really rather not have to.
    <grin>

    Thanks again.

    =Dave