Re: [PARPORT] Question

David Campbell (campbell@gear.torque.net)
Thu, 4 Dec 1997 07:46:56 +0000

> From: "Jeremy Mann" <jrmann@iglobal.net>
> To: <linux-parport@torque.net>
> Subject: [PARPORT] Question
> Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 21:26:46 -0600

> Now that I have 1.40 of ppa, how in gods name do I use it to make a linux
> boot disk??????

What are you REALLY after?

a) A demo ZIP disk which you can plug into a friends machine and boot
   linux (from a DOS prompt)?
b) A boot disk for #### distribution to allow installation of Linux onto a
   ZIP disk.

I do have a solution for part a (this was not easy due to the semantics of
MSDOS, basically MSDOS thinks it has a ZIP disk with 95Mb of bad sectors
which is where the ext2fs partition lives :-).

As for part b you will need to find someone who has an operating Linux
system and twist their arm. Without knowing what distribution you are
using it is very difficult for me (or anyone else) to build you a
bootdisk.

David Campbell.
campbell@torque.net (Parallel port device related mail)
dcampbel@p01.as17.honeywell.com.au (For all other mail)

Just when you thought you have seen every possible
parallel port chipset there is, some manufacturer comes
out with a new quirk. Just to make things worse, every
mainboard manufacturer on the planet decides to use it.