[PARPORT] Accton EN2209 Ethernet

chris (harshman@paradigm.uor.edu)
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 16:02:39 -0800 (PST)

I have in my possession a Accton EN2209 (well, a generic label version
thereof). It works under DOS/Windows with drivers I got from Accton,
so I know the unit works.

I found the following:
ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/.22/linux/sunsite/kernel/patches/network/accton.lsm
ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/.22/linux/sunsite/kernel/patches/network/accton.tgz

Which professes to be a driver for just this device. Okay.
I compiled it and received two errors (kernel 2.0.30, Slackware 3.1).
I commented out the lines giving the error messages (both were called on
the event of certain errors - nonstandard parallel port configuration,
device not found... - that I could safely assume would not occur).
It compiled fine after that.

I insmod'd the resulting ethpk.o file, and the driver correctly found my
EtherPocket adaptor, correctly reported the Ethernet hardware address,
etc. I was able to ifconfig it (it creates the device ethpk0) and setup
routing. However...

I am unable to do anything with it once I've got the above done.
Say I set it up as IP address 192.168.0.48 (on a 192.168.0.x network).
I can ping .48, but no other machines on the network. I am unable to
to get off the laptop that's equipped with the device.

The email addresses for the authors are both no longer valid, the
software looks to have been last updated in 1995 (for a kernel 1.3.x),
etc.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Chris Harshman, sysadmin | "A witty saying proves nothing."
harshman@paradigm.uor.edu | -- Voltaire
http://paradigm.uor.edu/~harshman |