Re: [PARPORT] Iomega zip+ between Sun and PC

Alexander Shumakovitch (shurik@mpim-bonn.mpg.de)
Mon, 19 Jan 1998 14:24:38 +0100

> Hi !
>
> I'm wondering if somebody's got enlightment on this:
>
> * I'm in the process of buying / mounting my first linux box at home.
> * At work I have sparc stations under solaris 2.5
> * What I'd like to do is transfert datas between my suns and my home PC.
>
> Well, I've bought an IOmega zip plus. Now, does somebody know whether
> it's possible to use the zip plus under solaris and transfert datas to my PC,
> or do I need to connect the zip onto a sparc station *running linux* ?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> / / _ _ Didier Verna http://www-inf.enst.fr/~verna/
> - / / - / / /_/ / E.N.S.T. INF C214 mailto:verna@inf.enst.fr
> /_/ / /_/ / /__ / 46 rue Barrault Tel. (33) 01 45 81 80 72
> 75634 Paris cedex 13 Fax. (33) 01 45 81 31 19

Hmm, actually I think the best way to connect two Unix computers if you don't
have Ethernet cards on both of them is to use PLIP (Parallel Line IP) protocol.
It allows you to create a small network (of two computers) on your home desk
through parallel ports. For example, you can use ftp, telnet or even mount a
directory. The only additional thing you'll need is a cable to connect
parallel ports, which is easy to buy (cost $5 in US). Read NET-3-HOWTO in your
Linux distribution to learn how it should be set up.

Good luck!

   --- Alexander.