Re: [PARPORT] Re: lpr problems in 2.0->2.1?

Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 09:30:27 +0000 (GMT)

> For PC style hardware this is simply port accesses, for other hardware the
> bits are remapped before being sent to the device.
> [At this point I start looking for HARD cover]
>
> This is a question for the kernel hackers:
> a) Is there any way to reduce the overhead of a function call?

a) Do more in it. One flaw with parport is it lacks things like
block operations.

> b) Is it possible to construct functions on the fly?

or to patch existing code. At one point the sparc mmu code did this.

In some ways what parport needs is the ability to do this..

        int (*func)(whatever);

        func=parport_query_handler(PARPORT_FUNC_DRIVE_PPA):

        if(func==NULL) /* this combination has no fast ppa driver for zips */
        {
                slow_way
        }
        else