Re: [PARPORT] Iomega Zip : MEDIUM ERROR

Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 12:09:08 +0000 (GMT)

> Is a disk definitely lost after the following error ?

Not always

> scsi0: MEDIUM ERROR on channel 0, id 6, lun 0, CDB: Request Sense 00 00 00
> 10 00
> Current error sd08:01: sense key Medium Error
> scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:01, sector 2, absolute sector 3
> EXT2-fs: unable to read superblock
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
> or too many mounted file systems

A medium error is indeed a disk error but there are things you can do.
Firstly the superblock is duplicated at block 8193 and other places.

Try doing a e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/sda1

You may also want to run a scsi verify of the disk ( its often in
the controller bios, I dunno if anyone ever wrote a linux native tool
for this)