Re: [PARPORT] Scanner support

Mark Garlanger (garlangr@cyberramp.net)
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 09:44:04 -0600

Riley Williams wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> *** Jani Frilander was heard to whisper ***
>
> > Does anybody know if there is any projects going on with
> > parallel port scanners? I'm a poor owner of such gadget,
> > since I can't get it work in Linux.
>
> Related to the above...
>
> I've been looking into the idea of getting a Parallel port scanner
> myself, and understand suchlike scanners use a protocol called
> TWAIN to communicate with the computer. Given this:
>
> 1. Does Linux 2.0.33 support TWAIN?

This seems to come up quite a bit so I'll respond to the whole list...
TWAIN is just an interface between theapplication and the OS (Win95) so
it's the Win95 drivers that support TWAIN not the scanners for
more info about this look at the
SANE homepage: http://www.mostang.com/sane/ . It talks about the various

frontend and backend packages that support the SANE interface..

                                Mark