Re: [PARPORT] Can I connect Sensors to my Parallelport ?

Andrea Arcangeli (arcangeli@mbox.queen.it)
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 21:38:18 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Matthias Haberkorn wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I´m new to this list. So please excused me, if I make a mistake.
>
>I have a question about other hardware. Can I connect a Sensor to my
>Parallelport, e.g. a Infra-Red-Sensor or any other Sensors which provide
>TTL-Inputs and read out the signal they provide. A friend of my have
>used the parallelport to drive his step-motors. How many sensors could I
>connect to die Parport ? Can anybody help me ?

In normal mode you can read 4 bit from the port while you have >8 bit in
output. In epp mode you will be able to read/write 32bit per time.

If you like to use the parallel port to do that you could take a look to
the list and search for the ppuser project that allow you to write that
kind of device also at user level without use ioperm() etc...

Andrea[s] Arcangeli