Re: [PARPORT] lp

Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 21:05:22 +0100 (BST)

> People who had their Ethernet cards set up to IRQ 5 in 2.0.x might find
> that suddenly it doesn't work in newer kernels. That's because parport
> has (correctly) autodetected 5 as belonging to the parallel port, and
> grabbed it for some other device driver.

This is why I've said repeatedly that parport should identify its IRQ5,
check if IRQ5 actually works, then set the port to leave the IRQ alone and
default to polling mode.

_Most_ people don't use parallel IRQ's and IRQ5 acquiring (ditto IRQ 7) breaks
a lot of network set ups and some sound ones.

Religion: Default to working, let the user turn on performance enhancement
then the less clued are happy and the wizards are not limited.

Alan