[PARPORT] ppa-1.42 release (last 2.0.x version *sob*)

David Campbell (campbell@gear.torque.net)
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 13:24:57 +0000

To all ZIP drive users:

ppa-1.42 has just been released, the changes are small and only affect
parport (2.1.x) version.

I have thrown in an additional "extra" for Linux 2.1.x users, "parport_ns"
which is intended to be loaded as a module in place of "parport_pc". The
module fixes a problem I have on my machine where the chipset (National
Semiconductor PC87336) is capabable of EPP mode but the BIOS does not
support it (Dell only allows PS/2 and ECP).

Parport programmers, please note that the change_mode() function
*actually* does something (for a change and ppa uses it :-).

If parport_ns fails to load it is most likely because you have some other
io chipset such as SMC (parport_smc coming shortly to an ftp site near
you). The ppa driver will still work with parport_pc, perhaps a little
bit slower than people might like.

                      NOW THE BAD NEWS (*sniff*)
Approx 24 hours ago tsx-11.mit.edu mirrored linux 2.1.92. I do not expect
the version numbers to reach 2.1.100+ (I could be wrong). At that point
much of the code in 2.1.x will roll over and become linux 2.2.x (the
stable stream). Since parport has been around for since 2.1.35 it will
most likely be included in the stable stream.

ppa 1.42 will be the last version containing both the 2.0.x and 2.1.x
source code. This is to allow a tidy up of the code for better parport
performance (like use the parport_write_epp_block() function).

David Campbell