[PARPORT] Kernel version in Debian 2.0 - support for PARIDE?

Jeremy Malcolm (terminus@odyssey.apana.org.au)
Wed, 8 Apr 1998 21:45:45 +0800

I posted this question to the debian-users list, which is the more
appropriate forum, but I didn't receive a response.

Reading the Linux-Parport home page, I came across the following:

> The PARIDE drivers have been available as a standard feature of the
> Linux developmental kernel since version 2.1.77, and will, therefore,
> be available in the next stable kernel release. At that time, it would
> be reasonable to expect the major distributors to have integrated the
> PARIDE features into their installation procedures.

I am having trouble getting Debian 1.3.1 to load the PARIDE drivers as
kernel modules. So I am thinking perhaps I should wait until the next
stable release of Debian, if this will include PARIDE support built-in to
the kernel.

Can anyone advise me what kernel version will be included in version 2.0 of
Debian? Will I be able to install direct to my parallel port device from
the floppy disk installation program?

Thanks!

PS. Did this list receive my long-winded post asking how to load kernel
modules from an initial ramdisk (initrd)? I am still having trouble with
this, as Linux seems to hang after mounting the ramdisk file system and
before running the linuxrc file which loads the modules; perhaps I haven't
copied all the required files to the ramdisk (what would these be?). The
previous help I have received from this list has been invaluable (thanks
Grant!).

--
|---------  JEREMY MALCOLM <terminus@odyssey.apana.org.au>  ---------|
SIG of the day: [ ] Contact  [x] Web  [ ] PGP  [ ] Taglines #1  [ ] #2