Re: [PARPORT] parport driver

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 19 Apr 1998 16:27:58 +0100 (BST)

On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, Riccardo Facchetti wrote:

> Just a fast thought ... ppuser seems something in the direction I think
> is the good one, but ... look ... in parport_read/write I see ECP and EPP
> modes coded into the same function. Hmm ... not really cosmetic to see :)

The way I imagine it happening is having an ioctl set the style of
read/write to be performed, be it "compatible", "DMA", "EPP block", or
whatever.

Then also there is the issue of needing to claim/release the port via
ioctls. Someone not long ago was talking about a modem or something that
used the parallel port? It would be good if they _could_ just direct it
at /dev/parport0 instead of a serial device, and have it just work.

For that to happen, some aspect of claim/release would need to be
automatic - I don't know if that it achievable.