Re: [PARPORT] rh5bpcd.img

Grant R. Guenther (grant@torque.net)
Sun, 10 May 1998 07:50:06 -0400 (EDT)

> I'm brand new in this List, can you give me a clue?

First thing: please adjust your "Outlook" settings. Plain text is sufficient,
we don't really need all the rich text versions that you also included ...

> 1.. has someone experienced if the Red Hat 5.0 boot image
> ftp://ftp.torque.net/pub/rh5bpcd.img works with a Shuttle
> Technologies EPIA ATAPI CD-ROM Drive, for installing
> Red Hat Linux from CD on a LapTop?

No, it won't help you. It would be possible to build a similar disk for
EPIA, but it requires some contortions. RedHat's first stage installer
has the device names, device numbers, module names, etc. encoded within
the program (and connected to the menu choices). Either you need to
find the source for the installer (on CD #2, I believe) and rework it to
use PARIDE, or do what I did for rh5bpcd.

I edited the source code of the paride, pcd and bpck modules so that they
could be pre-linked into a single module, and I also changed the device
name and number to look like the older bpcd driver (which is what the
installer was looking for). I'm not sure if I even have those patches
around anymore - but I can check if you have no other way to install onto
this machine.

> 2.. does someone know how to create Red Hat installation boot disks =
> (i'd like to include the paride & pcd modules on it)?

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. Until the first stage loader completes
(by loading tools from the CD itself) there is only a special installer
program running - there's no shell - so you can only load the modules that
are "known" to the installer.