Re: [PARPORT] HP 7100e parallel

Grant R. Guenther (grant@torque.net)
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 06:55:19 -0400 (EDT)

> yesterday I saw the HP 7100e in a shop and its price was 25% lower
> than the newer 7200e.
> Does anybody knows if there are hardware differences between the two
> models? (i know about the different software that is bundled)
> if I will upgrade the firmware will be alright ?
> Does anybody knows where could I submit my questions? (email address
> af a CD mailing list)

You might stroll over to DejaNews and see what they have on this - I
read a few news threads about the difference several weeks ago.

As I recall, the hardware is the same, but out of the box, the firmware
is different, and of course the extras are different. Take this as
a cloudy memory only, but I think if you upgrade the firmware, there is
no difference between the two drives.

As for pg - a few people have picked up the beta test tar file, but I've
had no reports back yet.

In my own tests, pg seems to be correct. Unfortunately, I'm testing with
a CD-R that cdrecord doesn't appear to support. I've established that the
cdrecord problems I'm having are not related to pg. (My drive is not an
HP model.)

If you are thinking about trying the beta test driver, you can get

        ftp://ftp.torque.net/pub/pg-beta.tar

which contains a readme file explaining how to install the driver.
Remember, you need 2.1.103 or later and cdrecord 1.6.