Re: [PARPORT] BackPack Cdrom Woes

grant@torque.net
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 19:47:21 -0400 (EDT)

> > Let me get this right:
> > a) you ran the natsemi program
>
> yes, ran it as root.
>
> > b) then tried to use the SparQ afterwards (with no errors)
>
> yes, no errors with SparQ or the printer...however...

But you haven't actually told us if the pd driver detected EPP mode ...

> the chipset is a National Semiconductor PC87338,

Are you sure it is being used for the parallel port ? That chip has lots
of other capabilities, perhaps something else is the parallel port ?

> i have gone to the national semiconductor web page and requested the
> tech ref paper. It certainly seems to be some sort of inconsistancy
> between the chipset (maybe its not being initialised properly under
> linux ?) or else its the bantam cdrom drive talking to it (the other
> suspicion is that they have done something..... strange, to the handshaking.)
>
> I dont really see how it could be the negotation phase, as it does
> claim IEE 1284 compliance..
>
> hurmm...maybe i should have finished my degree in micro-electronics ;)

A little learning is a dangerous thing :-(

There are two interrelated issues here:

 - we don't seem to be able to coerce your parallel port into a state
   that the bpck module can use. The MSI driver, however, does know
   what to do.

 - even in the lowest common denominator "SPP" mode, the bpck protocol
   module is not able to communicate correctly with the adapter chip
   in your backpack.

We have had success reports about the bantam drive, but that does not
mean that your drive is the same as the others that did work. It is
quite possible that MSI has changed the protocol. It is also possible
that your parallel port is wired up in an odd manner that MSI's driver
can detect and handle, but which I have yet to encounter.

> this brings me to another question (dumb as it is ;) could the 20x be
> a scsi cdrom drive ? i seem toremember hearing that the bantam 24x
> was/is ....would paride fail before the error its giving out if it
> was a scsi and not atapi.

In a very real sense ATAPI and SCSI are the same thing, but that's
entirely irrelevant to the problem you are having here, which appears
to be either a parallel port initialisation - or protocol compatibility
problem.